Our doctors here at Signature Smiles know your natural teeth are better than any dental replacement solution; therefore, they will try any and all possible treatments that allow them to save your natural teeth. Teeth extractions will only be recommended once all other possible solutions have been exhausted.
Reasons for Tooth Extractions:
- Tooth extractions are necessary when a tooth cannot be saved with a root canal treatment and the tooth has died from extensive decay or infection. In order to avoid affecting nearby teeth, your gums or the jawbone, the dead tooth has to be extracted and the infection cleared.
- Another reason why tooth extractions might be an option is as part of the procedure of your orthodontic treatment, in order to create enough space for the proper alignment of your teeth.
- If you have suffered an injury or trauma to the mouth and a tooth or teeth have been broken beyond any possible repair. In this case, the broken pieces need to be extracted and the mouth allowed healing before a replacement option can be evaluated.
Process for Tooth Extractions:
- The dentist will first examine your mouth to check the alignment of your teeth and which teeth need extracting
- Dental X-rays will be taken to have a clearer picture of the spacing and alignment of your teeth
- Local anesthetic will be applied to the area surrounding the tooth that needs extracting
- The tooth is then rocked out of its socket with special pliers
- If the tooth has been damaged or broken, all the broken pieces need to be removed to allow the mouth and surrounding tissues to heal properly
- To stop any bleeding, a gauze is applied
You might experience swelling and some pain after your tooth extraction procedure, especially once the anesthesia wears off. Your dentist will prescribe you pain medication and you should apply ice to the treated area to reduce swelling. Our dentists strongly encourage good oral hygiene to avoid getting infections.
Here at Signature Smiles we’ll do everything to save your natural teeth, but if you require a tooth extraction this is the place to go! Call us at (423) 301-2330 to make your appointment with us today!