Inlays and Onlays
Inlays and Onlays are a great option when there is damage to the teeth, whether it is a small fissure or crack, but it is not as serious as to need a greater treatment like a Crown or bridge.
Our teeth, believe it or not, go through a lot during the day, from changes in temperatures from the food we consume to the pressure of breaking down the food. Sometimes that pressure and stress, as well as accidents, can cause damage to the teeth, which if left untreated can really deteriorate your dental health.
This type of restoration is similar to dental fillings; inlays are placed inside of the tooth to bridge the gap the damage has caused. Onlays, however, are also placed within the tooth but also placed on the tooth.
There are different materials used for inlays and onlays, such as gold, composite resin, ceramic and porcelain. The procedure usually takes a couple of visits to the dentist; the first visit will prep your teeth for the second visit where the application will be completed.
The procedure is as follows:
- Dr. Conner will examine your teeth and see which teeth need restoring.
- If there is tooth decay, that will be taken care of and removed completely.
- The doctor will take an impression of your teeth to send out to the laboratory so that the inlays can be crafted.
- It usually doesn’t take long for the dentist to get them back from the laboratory but on your first visit, you will get temporary covers over the teeth that need restoring while you wait for your inlays or onlays.
- On your second visit, you will be prepared for the application of the onlay or inlay, following that, it will be permanently cemented onto your tooth. Once it has bonded over, the dentist will polish and smooth out any imperfections so it is comfortable to wear.
If you want to know if you would qualify for this treatment come into Signature Smiles and speak with our dentists to see if this would be the best solutions for you! You can contact us on (423) 301-2330 and book your appointment today!